Wednesday, April 9, 2014

St. Mary Cleophas

Happy Feast of St. Mary Cleophas!

This is another one of those posts that will show my ignorance, but also show my desire to know more.  What can I say, 2000+ years is a lot to catch up with!  St. Mary Cleophas was is the mother of St. James the Lesser and Joseph.  Right there....you'd think I'd know who she was, but yes, she actually is more than just the mother of important people.  She is also one of the "Three Marys" who served Jesus and was present at his crucifixion.  So how did I miss that?!?  I'm guessing it is because in the bible she is known as Mary of James or the other Mary or Mary the mother of James and Joseph....good grief, no wonder I couldn't sort this out.  There are entirely too many names for the same person!  She may have also been one of the women who found Jesus missing from the tomb.  After all of this it is reported that she went to Hispania (Spain) and was a missionary.

I don't know what I can really say about her.  I still just don't understand how I did even know she was there.  She was obviously an integral part of the picture.  She was one of the women who followed Jesus.  From what I read, in this image she is the one in the back waving her arms.  If that is true, maybe I just glazed over her, because she is a "girly-girl" as my children would call it, and I'm not.  I am more of the "get-it-done" kind of girl.  The one in there, working to get things done so life can move on.  So if the bible or tradition, paints her as the girl who grieves excessively or needs a lot, regrettably, I would have glazed over that section.  Sorry.  I know that everything that is said is important, but I guess human nature takes over at that point.  I really will have to try and find more out about her.  Here is a little off the wall insert.  Someone composed a Gospel According to the Other Mary I can't say that this is changing my thoughts any, but interesting none the less.  I suppose the most information comes from EWTN, I encourage you to read this http://www.ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/MARYCLEO.htm.

When it comes down to it, we all need to aim for giving our lives more to Our Lord in everything, and Mary Cleophas is the example for us.


No comments:

Post a Comment