Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Feast of St. Alexander of Alexandria

Happy Feast of St. Alexander of Alexandria!

St. Alexander of Alexandria was bishop of Alexandria in 313 and fought against the Arianism.  He was a key figure at the Council of Nicaea and is credited with drawing up the acts of the First Council of Nicaea.  Yes, if Nicaea sounds familiar it should be, we recite the Nicene Creed every Sunday at mass.  This is when our church fathers got together to hammer out what the true beliefs of the church are so they could fight the many heresies that were spreading like wildfire around Christendom.  How were people expected to know the TRUE church if they didn't always know the TRUE beliefs of the church.  These cannons or laws they set out still stands as the compass for ALL of Christianity.  I know as a former Methodist, I would always look at the Nicene creed and wonder why I wasn't at a Catholic church.  Yes, even over there we would say "I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church," and as I would sit there as a child looking at the * so neatly placed beside the word Catholic, with a kind note informing me that, no we don't mean Catholic, but Universal.  I always felt I was in the wrong church, as if my family had mad a wrong turn on the way.  So as we all muddle through our day, take a moment to recite the Nicene Creed and remember that this is one of our great links to the past that the Catholic church has provided us, linking us to the great Council of Nicaea and more importantly to Jesus and his apostles.

The Nicene Creed

I believe in one God,
the Father almighty,
maker of heaven and earth,
of all things visible and invisible.
I believe in one Lord Jesus Christ,
the Only Begotten Son of God,
born of the Father before all ages.
God from God, Light from Light,
true God from true God,
begotten, not made, consubstantial with the Father;
through him all things were made.
For us men and for our salvation
he came down from heaven,
and by the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became man.
For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried,
and rose again on the third day
in accordance with the Scriptures.
He ascended into heaven
and is seated at the right hand of the Father.
He will come again in glory
to judge the living and the dead
and his kingdom will have no end.
I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life,
who proceeds from the Father and the Son,
who with the Father and the Son is adored and glorified,
who has spoken through the prophets.

I believe in one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church.
I confess one Baptism for the forgiveness of sins
and I look forward to the resurrection of the dead
 and the life of the world to come. Amen.
 
*here's my little * forgive my misspellings and typos today, 4:00am is not my usual writing time and I must say, I don't really enjoy being up right now.  But as life would have it, I have an annoying toothache which I must remedy today.  Naturally, this is keeping me from my sleep, which I desperately need.  Pray for me today, I think I need it more than I normally do, and I will be praying for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment