Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Feast of Saint Agatha

Happy Feast of Saint Agatha!

I have to admit, as a convert to the Catholic faith, I am just now.....7 years later....really trying to learn and understand the saints.  What can I say, for a Methodist turned Catholic, there is aton of information to absorb.  Honestly, sometimes I feel like I am at the bottom of huge mountain trying to look at every rock and piece of soil and figure out what they mean and how they came to be.  The Catholic church is 2000 years of information and I want to know all of it!  I want to teach my children every bit of it!  But, with all honesty, I know this is impossible.  So here I am, day 2 of my blog, looking at the feast of Saint Agatha. 

I have read her story, not shared it with my children yet, honestly not sure I will at this point.  WOW!  We are so incredibly blessed in our country.  So many around the world suffer for their faith, while we idly sit and take our faith for granted.  I sit in church and listen to Catholic media proclaim our persecution over the new insurance mandates and I feel hurt and betrayed, but beyond prayer, do little.  All the while, the church in Syria and the middle east is being decimated and persecuted in such a gruesome manner that it makes our little protest seem little.  We are not being shot in our churches.  Our priests and nuns are not being drug off into prison.  So then I, and I know I am not the only one, count my blessings and pray.  But is this truly enough?  There are 77.7 million Catholics in the United States out of around 317 million Americans (take a look at these statistics, they are interesting catholic pew research ).  Not to mention that 78% of all Americans are christian, including Catholics listed above. 

What could we do if we were all as passionate about our faith as Saint Agatha?  What if we truly laid our faith out as a ground work for our day, our voting, our life.  I know we all say we do, and truly I think we all try, but what if we succeeded at this?  What if we truly thought of Church teachings and dedicated every aspect of our lives to JMJ?  What would happen then?  When my family goes out to eat, we pray before we eat.  Yes, there in the midst of all the eyes, we make the sign of the cross and pray out loud and bless our food.  That is our small way of showing the world who and what we are.  But what about those times when it is the hardest to follow Christ and the teachings of our church?  What if we honestly followed Jesus and the Church at those moments?  Where would our country be?  What could our country accomplish?

No comments:

Post a Comment